I'm so excited for your upcoming shoot!
...and I want to make sure that you're 100% ready for the experience! I know that it can be somewhat nerve-wracking in the days before your shoot: you may be wondering, among other things, what should you to do prepare? How will you pose if you have no experience modeling? When should you get your nails done? I understand these concerns, and I've put together a short guide to answer some of those questions and help guide you through the pre-shoot process!
- DON'T stress too much about how you will look and how you will pose. I will be with you every step of the way, demonstrating poses and finding the best light and angles.
- DON'T try to make any drastic changes leading up to your shoot. It's natural to panic about how you look in the days before your shoot and make some drastic change, be it a crash diet or a new hair color, But trying to change things very quickly out of a sense of panic can lead to you feeling (and looking!) uncomfortable and stressed during your shoot, and you definitely want to be as relaxed as possible!
- DON'T try any new skin products in the week before your shoot. New products may cause irritation that will be difficult to hide with editing.
- DON'T exfoliate too close to your shoot; this might leave your skin looking irritated and raw. I recommend exfoliating no closer than a full day prior to your shoot.
- DON'T schedule hair removal (like waxing) less than three days before your shoot, to avoid redness and irritation.
- DON'T overexpose yourself to natural or artificial tanning pre-shoot. Discoloration and tan lines may be impossible to hide with editing.
- DON'T wear jeans, or any other very tight-fitting clothing to your shoot that will leave marks/lines on your skin. The marks can be very difficult to fix in editing. Seamless leggings, sweatpants, and loose rompers/jumpsuits/dresses are good ideas. This also goes for hair ties: even if you take the hair tie off your wrist right before your shoot, it might leave a red line that's hard to fix in post.
- DO take time for yourself and indulge in self-care in the days leading up to your shoot. Your shoot is an investment in you, and the prelude to that should be some "me" time!
- DO get your beauty rest! This will have you looking and feeling your best for the day of your shoot.
- DO make sure to hydrate! Staying hydrated is one of the quickest, most effective, and cheapest beauty tips there is!
- DO be mindful of your skincare. Nothing outside of a basic cleanse + moisturize routine is necessary, but it makes a big difference in how your skin will look and how makeup will apply on your skin.
- DO be mindful of body moisturization! Boudoir is different from other photography genres in that a lot more skin will show, and you definitely want to be glowing for your shoot!
- DO make sure to leave enough time for any beauty treatments that are important to you! Facials and body hair removal are best done three days to a week prior to your shoot, and nails are best done one to three days prior to your shoot.
- DO have multiple wardrobe options ready for the day of your shoot. This is super important! We often try something on when we first get it and love it, only to hate it later when we're actually using it. It's a great idea to have two to three options available on the day of the shoot, just in case an outfit doesn't work out the way you had expected it to.
- DO think about the details. You don't need to get a manicure, for example, but think about whether or not it will bother you to have bare or chipped nails in your images. Think about little accents like jewelry, scrunchies, gloves, or socks/stockings, which can make an outfit really pop.
- DO make sure to reach out to me with any questions or ideas you have prior to your shoot. No matter how insignificant you think it may be, my top priority is your comfortability and your satisfaction with your shoot!
BOUDOIR PREP CHECKLIST
(refer to this checklist if needed to help you prep!)
☐ SHOOT BOOKED
☐ PINTEREST BOARD APPROVED + INSPO ADDED
☐ WARDROBE OPTIONS DECIDED
☐ MAKEUP + HAIR DECIDED
☐ 1 WEEK OUT: FACIAL
☐ 1 WEEK - 3 DAYS OUT: HAIR REMOVAL
☐ 3 DAYS - 1 DAY OUT: MANICURE + PEDICURE
☐ PRODUCTS CHOSEN
Have any other questions or concerns?
I am always here to help! Whatever your concern or idea is, feel free to either fill out the contact form below, or text/email me at: